Calling all PEM fellows to submit to EmergiQuiz!
• An outstanding opportunity to choose and prepare a case write-up.
• 4 fellows will be chosen to present at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM) National Conference & Exhibition—a highlight of the meeting!
§ Opportunity for exposure to a national PEM audience
§ Networking with potential future employers
§ Cash winners for best case presentation and best discussion of unknown case
Those four cases will also be published in Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine
• Additional outstanding cases to be awarded HONORABLE MENTION, and published online at PEMnetwork.org
Anyone currently enrolled in or accepted to a PEM fellowship program is eligible.
A Case Submission Template, Author Information Form, and below and attached and are also available on the SOEM website under "What's New" at the AAP SOEM website
Deadline for case submission is May 27th, 2013.
The AAP Section on Emergency Medicine EmergiQuiz 2013 Guidelines for Case Submission
Include the following for each case submitted:
• Case title (Note that the title of the case should not reveal the final diagnosis)
• Case summary parts 1&2 (not to exceed 5 pages)
Part 1. Description of the patient’s history, physical exam, ED evaluation (diagnostic, imaging, and other relevant studies) and ED/hospital course as it was known prior to uncovering the final diagnosis. Part 1 should conclude without revealing the final diagnosis.
§ Appropriate concluding statements could be: “and then the definitive diagnostic study was performed” or “The patient was admitted where the diagnosis was made on the 3rd hospital day”, etc.
Part 2. Continuation of the patient’s ED/hospital course-- revealing the final diagnosis and how it was made.
• Images or figures
• Case summary which includes:
Learning objectives for PEM physicians
• Save document as <titleofcase>.doc
• Do not include any personal identifying information the case submission.
Cases will be scored anonymously by a panel of judges giving equal weight to all four criteria.
1. Relevance of learning objectives to PEM physicians
2. Value of differential diagnosis for PEM physicians
3. Uniqueness of information presented
4. Clarity and quality of case summary
EmergiQuiz submissions should be e-mailed directly to
no later than May 27th, 2013. Confirmation that your case has been received will be in the form of a reply email. If you don’t receive an email reply, then please resend the submission. Notification of the selected cases will occur by mid-July, 2013.
Christine Cho, MD, MPH, MEd
Interim Chief and Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
UCSF School of Medicine